Author: Dr. Rehan Lakhani, ND
Dr. Rehan is a Collingwood naturopath who provides evidence-based care to those struggling with IBS, brain fog, fatigue, anxiety, chronic pain, and all things related to your gut. Click here to schedule a free consult with our doctors.
If you’re considering purchasing a seasonal affective disorder (SAD) lamp to help alleviate the symptoms of SAD, it’s important to do your research to make sure you’re getting a high-quality product that will be effective for you. Here are some tips for selecting a researched SAD lamp:
- Look for lamps that are specifically designed to treat SAD. While regular light boxes may provide some relief, they may not be as effective as lamps specifically designed for SAD treatment.
- Consider the intensity of the light. SAD lamps should provide a light intensity of at least 10,000 lux. This is the level of brightness that has been proven to be effective in treating SAD.
- Choose a lamp that is large enough for your room size. The size of the lamp you need will depend on how close you will be to the light source and how much light you need to cover your room size.
- Look for lamps that have a high color rendering index (CRI). The CRI measures how accurately a light source reveals the colors of objects compared to natural sunlight. A higher CRI means that the light from the lamp will be more similar to natural sunlight, which can be more effective in treating SAD.
- Consider the wavelength of the light. Light boxes or lamps for SAD treatment typically use white or blue-green light, which have been shown to be effective in treating SAD.
- Check the lamp’s certification. Look for lamps that have been certified by organizations such as the Center for Environmental Therapeutics or the National Institute of Mental Health. This can ensure that the lamp meets certain standards for effectiveness and safety.
- Read reviews from other users. Look for lamps that have positive reviews from people who have used them to treat SAD. This can give you an idea of how well the lamp works and whether it is a good fit for you.
- Check out our 5 habits to help with SAD post for more ways to overcome SAD.
By following these tips, you can find a high-quality SAD lamp that will be effective in helping to alleviate your symptoms.
Book an appointment with our Collingwood naturopath, Dr. Rehan, to discuss how we can help you with seasonal affective disorder.